Sunday 31 January 2016

January Indie Pattern Update!


I feel like I say this every month but err... where did January go?! We're one twelfth of the way through 2016 already and I feel like we can't possibly be more than a week in. I haven't had time to get on my sewing machine since before Christmas guys and I'm getting some serious withdrawal symptoms! I'm hoping to rectify that later today as I've woken up feeling exceedingly creative this morning. I'm fairly sure that looking back through all the gorgeous releases this month is going to leave me even more inspired!

New Patterns

  • Anneka Couture released the Manhattan Skirt which is available as a free PDF download. It's a simple to sew design for knits and has options for a scalloped hem and two lengths.
  • I'm yet to try a Kommatia pattern but so many of the designs appeal to me, has anyone given them a whirl? They released a flurry of designs this month including skinny stretch jeans, a beautiful pair of draped trousers, a body con dress and batwing turtleneck top.
  • By Hand London treated us to a new dress pattern this month. Named Charlie, it's currently only available through the UK Sewing Made Simple magazine but will eventually be available in their store. The bodice looks very similar to the original design for the Holly Jumpsuit which I tested and a lot of you seemed interested in!
  • Style Arc's January releases include the Taylor Knit Skirt, Kylie Knit Top, Crystal Over-shirt and Maddison Top. The freebie with any purchase for the month is the Kendall Knit Top and there has been an additional January offer running of buy two get one free of any of the new patterns. If you're reading this early enough today there might still be time to snap that up!
  • Technically not a new pattern per-se but I thought this was the best slot for it; Closet Case Files released a flared leg PDF expansion pack for the ever popular Ginger Jeans. I've said before how much I love the idea of designers expanding on the variations of their patterns with add ons so I'm delighted to see it cropping up more often.
  • The two patterns released with this month's Seamwork Magazine are the Aires Exercise Tights and Rio Tee; good timing for all those new year's resolutions don't you think?! I'm still working on my activewear sewing ambitions.
  • Fabrics for Sale released a new pattern bundle for a Velvet Scarf. I think this is a wonderful kit idea and the selection of velvets and linings you can choose from is stunning. Devore (burnout velvet) is one of my all time favourite fabrics to drool over, it's high time I got to grips with it.
  • The Maker's Atelier released the Big Easy Top which has two quite different variations. It's got the clean lines and distinctive cutting which I really love about all of their designs.
  • The Montlake Tee is the latest release from Straight Stitch Designs (currently on sale!). I never think there can be enough tee patterns; I feel like I'm on a continuous quest to find the perfect design/cut for me and every designer should have one that suits the style of their range. Kimberley's has flattering loose lines and a skinny neckband.
  • Marilla Walker has treated us to a free pattern to perk up our January! It's the Rose Jacket which features a unique petal shaped overlapped back. Brief yet clear instructions to accompany the download are available on her blog.
  • Sew Over It's Tulip Skirt pattern was originally released through Simply Sewing magazine last year but is now available in PDF form from their shop. I remember I had a navy wool tulip skirt from Topshop years ago which I wore to death, maybe I should recreate it!
  • The latest pattern from Melissa at Fehr Trade is the Tessellate Tee which is available in print with the latest issue of Love Sewing magazine. She has also released a PDF expansion pack which is downloadable from her website. It includes a hood, zipped back pocket and thumb cuffs which I am really interested in as I love this feature of my current favourite running top.

Sew-alongs


Upcoming!

  • Couture Nomad announced that they will soon be releasing patterns for a men's shirt and trousers. I'm delighted to see an increase in companies expanding into menswear patterns of late.
  • Pearl Red Moon's next pattern is going to be the Wave Dress. It features various panels which are perfect for showcasing fabric manipulation and decoration techniques.
  • There's a new collection from Papercut Patterns coming soon! I'm always really excited about this and have been enjoying the glimpse of an odd detail that's been shared on Instagram.
  • Pauline Alice gave us a sneaky peak at a couple of designs she's got lined up to release this year in her post about her sewing plans for this year. There's a chic wrap skirt and classic blazer.

Other Exciting News

  • Copy shop size files are now available for all the By Hand London patterns with the exception of the Victoria Blazer, Holly Jumpsuit, free Polly Top and Elisalex Dress which is currently being updated and improved.
  • Ralph Pink relaunched his Audrey Skirt with a larger size range (UK4-22). I'm still drooling over his updated website btw but have still found myself paralysed with indecision over which pattern to try first!
  • Jeans making bundles are now available to buy in the Closet Case Files online shop. The bundles are various combinations of the Ginger Jeans pattern, Sew Your Own Jeans ebook and the new Ginger Flares expansion pack.
  • Ohhh Lulu's gorgeous lingerie patterns are now being sold through the Girl Charlee website as well as her Etsy store.
  • Using a free pattern is a great way to give a company a try to see if you like their instructions and if their drafting suits your body shape. Couture Nomad are now offering their Istambul Top pattern as a free PDF download. Follow the link in this post to get yours.

It feels like it's been a fairly quiet month this month compared to those previous; I'm sure as designers ramp up their plans to stun us with releases later in the year. But I may well have missed a lot so be sure to check out the comments and add your own gems. Here's a little bit of indie sewing inspiration to kickstart your Sunday. 


  • Karen's version of the Sew Over It Vintage Shirt Dress may be my favourite one I've seen yet. That vintage-yet-modern print was made for that style of dress! 
  • I hadn't really been drawn to the Papercut Waver Jacket pattern but then I saw Katie's and suddenly absolutely HAVE to make one just like it! I love the length she made it and that gorgeous lining peeking out of the cuffs is perfection!
  • I don't really wear full sets of button up pyjamas but I keep seeing versions of the Carolyn Pyjamas which make me want to make some! Michelle's are awesome. That white piping really makes the most of that print.
  • I made the Seda Dress for the Christmas party season and will hopefully find time with daylight soon to get some pics for you. But Pauline's own version outdoes it anyway. I mean...velvet and a tulle yoke...yum!
  • Lizzie's Sutton Blouse is such a great version of this pattern. The scale of the bird print really suits the design and I love how she's highlighted the style lines with the use of bias trim.

Well that's got me feeling like I want to sew ALL the things. If anyone needs me I'll be at my machine! 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Fiona - great round-up, as always! :-)

    Here's another for your list - Muse Patterns released an expansion pack for the Jenna cardi, including a vee neck variation and a collar variation. You can find it here: http://sewingmuse.com/products/jenna-cardi-expansion-pack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah brilliant thanks Kat! Sorry I missed that one! Will add it in to next month's round up so everyone can see!

      Delete
    2. Sorry Fiona, it's Jane, in case you're wondering! Sorry I was just finding best way of commenting and think this may be it thro Google. Please do ignore this comment and last one. I don't use my personal name on google tho, so apologies for the user name.

      Delete
    3. Hi Jane!!! So fun to see you here!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! I always find your round ups very useful, Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Jen, glad you hear they're used!

      Delete
  3. Wow! Seems completely thorough to me. I was stunned at the cost of The Maker's Atelier. Quite the gorgeous website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little too Janet! I can't afford to spend that much on a pattern but for those who can they look stunning! Love their styling too

      Delete
  4. Thanks for doing these round ups, Fiona! It's so good to be able to see what's going on all in one place.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers of my blog so please feel free to leave a comment letting me know what you thought about this post/make! Any hints or tips to improve my sewing are always much appreciated too!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.