It's the end of November already! I hope all you readers over in the states had a wonderful thanksgiving weekend. I was pretty stunned by how many sewing pattern companies got on board with the black Friday sales this year with some great store wide discounts. I picked up a couple of treats which I can't wait to arrive! Some of the deals are still running today (Cyber Monday) so if you haven't taken a look yet Rachel has written a great summary of what deals are where. To tempt you a little further, here's the news from the sewing community's indie designers this month...
New Pattern Companies!
- Lisa from the Avid Seamstress has just launched her first collection of sewing patterns! There are three women patterns (The Day Dress, The Sheath Dress and The City Trousers) and two girls patterns for ages 3-8 (The Raglan Dress and The Gathered Dress). Plus they are all 20% off until the 6th December with the code LAUNCH20.
- Anne Durrieu, who was a contestant on the French Sewing Bee, has released her first PDF sewing pattern alongside her gorgeous garment line. It's called the Leopoldine Dress and I love that's it's a bit more technically advanced than many other first pattern releases. I'm very tempted to give this a whirl but it's only available in French so I might have to think on it!
- Republique du Chiffon released a whole new collection just as I published last month's post so I thought I'd save it to include this month. There's a lovely variety of garments from coats to trousers, a dress and skirt and that Jolaine Shirt is a stunner!
- Style Arc's new releases this month include the Violet Knit Jacket, Vicki Top and Christia Pant.
- The latest release from Heather Lou at Closet Case Files is the Clare Coat. I love that it's such a unique, interesting and contemporary design, has two distinctive views and is a great way to dip your toe into tailoring without having to get into pad stitching e.t.c. Definitely one for the wish list.
- There were two new pattern releases from Tessuti this month, the Kate Top and Maggie Tunic. Both simple designs that would be great to showcase a print.
- The two patterns released with Colette's Seamwork Magazine this month were the Camden Cape and Wembley Cardigan. As a Londoner I'm loving those names, it is a city very much suited to knitwear and outerwear after all!
- Hot Patterns released the Fast & Fabulous Diorella T-shirt Blouse. It's got a lovely unusual rear yoke and draped neckline.
- Sewaholic released a free pattern just for the festive season! Called the Stanley Tree it's a pattern for making a stuffed, fabric christmas tree, perfect for using up any scraps.
- The latest release from Pauline Alice is the Seda Dress. I've been loving all of Pauline's designs recently and this one is no exception, I bought it straight away and am hoping I can find the time to sew it up to wear to Christmas parties.
- Schnittchen released a whole winter collection of six new patterns. I'm particularly taken with the two coats, Joanna and Silvia; I like the relaxed and contemporary style. I don't know how I could choose between them though!
- After releasing children's versions of a few of her womenswear patterns, Kelli from True Bias has released a mens version of her Hudson Pants.
- Grainline Studio released the Stowe Bag, which has been brought to life in collaboration with Fringe Supply Co. to be the perfect project bag with it's various pockets.
- Joost from Make My Pattern released the Singular Shirt which has three basic variations and a whopping 35 advanced options including placket styles, collar heights and shapes amongst others. With that much choice you can make your ideal shirt!
- The Modern Kimono is the most recent release from The Maker's Atelier. This pattern has been released along with kits including the pattern and gorgeous crepe prints from the Cloth House in London.
- There were a couple of bag patterns released this month; firstly the Granger Book Bag from Helen's Closet (FREE when you sign up to her newsletter!) and secondly the Anya Shoulder Bag from So Zo...
- Christine Haynes released four patterns in association with Sew News Magazine. The PDF downloads available are the Josie Sundress, Departure Shift, Anya Skirt and East Side Tunic.
- Megan Nielsen released her first children's patterns. There are three designs which are all mini version of her womenswear designs; the Mini Tania Culottes, Mini Briar Sweater and Tee and the Mini Virginia Leggings.
- The latest Wear Lemonade pattern is the Malia Dress. It's a simple trapeze shape with v shaped back of the neck and I particularly like the sample version made in velvet!
- Anne Ka Couture released the Pixa Skirt. It's a simple design with curved side panels giving plenty of opportunity for colour blocking or accent piping. I love the combination of leather and suede used in one of the samples.
- Indie Sew released their winter collection which includes patterns from five different designers. The collection consists of: The Mila Shirt from Itch to Stitch, the Bethioua Raglan from Elle Puls, the Dropje Vest from Waffle Patterns, the Syrah Skirt from Baste & Gather and the Rosaline Dress from KZJO'STUDIO. I tested the Mila Shirt and am looking forward to sharing it with you hopefully later this week when I get pictures!
- Kommatia Patterns have released a flurry of new patterns towards the end of this month including a shirt, mini skirt, bodycon dress, cropped cami and slouchy tee.
- Fabrics for Sale have released their fourth pattern which is actually a pack for making your own Carrie Bradshaw style tulle skirt. you can pick the colour of your tulle and the pack comes with lining fabric, elastic for the waistband and the pattern.
- The new release from Made by Rae is the Luna Pants. It's the first in her line of 'Presto' patterns which are designed to be simple and easy make with abbreviated instructions and just the one view.
- Released just this morning are three new patterns from Kennis at Itch to Stitch. Along with the Mila Shirt (released as part of the Indie Sew winter collection) there are the Liana Stretch Jeans and Irena Knit Top. I love that there so many options for jeans patterns are cropping up when it was something a lot of people wouldn't have really thought about sewing a short while ago. All three patterns are currently 20% off, with an extra 15% off if you buy two or more.
- UPDATE! The latest pattern from Cashmerette is here! It's called the Washington Dress and features a knit bodice and knit yoke with a woven skirt. Gorgeous design, I love how flattering the style lines for those plus size curves Jenny caters for.
- Heather Lou is currently running a sew-along for the new Clare Coat over on the Closet Case Files blog. I'm eagerly reading every post despite not sewing along as I'm just interested in the coat making tips!
- Kennis from Itch to Stitch is running a sew-along for her newly released Liana Jeans which starts on Wednesday 2nd December. Details on all the supplies you need are up on her blog now.
- The Birkin Flares from Baste & Gather which I mentioned last month are set for release on 8th December. Very much looking forward to seeing more of these; bang on trend for the seventies vibe that is everywhere in RTW at the minute.
Other Exciting News
- Anna from Paunnet has written a book which came out this month! It's simply called 'The Sewing Handbook' and is currently only available in Italian.
- Named Patterns released a free pattern download to enable you to add long sleeves to their Kielo Wrap Dress. I'd always looked at it as perfect summer attire but now I'm looking at it with fresh eyes and with different fabric ideas!
- Closet Case Files paper patterns have arrived! Currently available in this format are the Carolyn Pyjamas, Ginger Jeans, Nettie Bodysuit and the new Clare Coat. I adore the illustrations, so beautifully done by fellow seamstress Sallie Oh.
- Heather Lou has had an exciting month as she also also released an ebook this month called 'Sewing Your Own Jeans '. It's the perfect accompaniment to her Ginger Jeans pattern and perfect timing for me as they are next in my sewing queue.
- Sew Over It launched their first online class, for the Grace Dress. Lisa guides you through all the steps yourself in a series of videos and as part of the package you get the pattern for a gorgeous versatile dress,
- The Bronte Top from Jennifer Lauren Vintage is now available in paper from; it's her very first printed pattern!
- Salme Patterns have released a paper version of their Kimono Sleeve Dress. It's the tenth addition to their paper pattern range.
- The Deer & Doe Belladone Dress and Chardon Skirt patterns have been reworked and enhanced and are now available in the new style of packaging. Full details of the changes made to the pattern are available here.
- 'Freehand Fashion' was launched this month. Written by popular Great British Sewing Bee contestant Chinelo Bally it guides you through her unusual freehand pattern cutting technique. I snapped up a copy at the Knitting and Stitching Show where I was lucky enough to meet the author herself and I can't wait to try it.
- Sally from Capital Chic Patterns had got 25% off her patterns until New Year's Eve with the code HAPPYHOLS15. It is the absolute perfect time of year to try one of her classy designs to wear throughout the party season!
As always let me know in the comments if there's anything you know of that I've missed (there's so much going on in the indie pattern world I'm sure there's a fair bit!). To finish up here's your monthly dose of indie sewing inspiration to get you fired up for some December sewing. I know I've got a lot of festive projects planned, how about you?
- As the namesake of the new Closet Case Files Clare Coat, Clare of course sewed up pretty much the ultimate version of it straight off the bat! So cool.
- Nina's pink and sparkly Georgia Dress is a stunner and so perfect for her birthday celebrations! I must give that Georgia pattern another go!
- Bianca from Fabricate picked an amazing Japanese floral print for her version of the True Bias Roscoe Blouse. I just love it.
- The lines of the Cotton & Steel print Helen picked for her Named Inari Dress work so well with the clean and contemporary shape of that pattern. Great combo of fabric and garment!
- Zoe's Sailboat Raincoat (which she use the Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket pattern for) is so fun! She made some great choices with not only the pattern and fabric but the buttons and zips too!